Interviewing your next superstar? Looking for your next sales position?
Here’s a list of 31 interview questions in no particular order. If you’re interviewing candidates, use what you like and improve what you don’t.
If you’re in the hunt for a new sales position, use them as a prep tool and work your way through. When you come out the other side, you’ll be completely tuned and ready for action.
- Tell me about your last three days at work – beginning to end.
- How many first appointments do you have each week?
- What do you like and dislike about your sales process and why?
- What do you like and dislike about the products or services you’re selling now and why?
- What attracts you to the industry?
- What are your long-term professional goals?
- What do you do personally for your professional development?
- What are your favorite books or sales resources?
- What type of sales cycle is most rewarding to you? A long cycle for a big ticket item or a series of smaller, more frequent sales.
- As a sales professional, what do you see as your primary and secondary roles within a company?
- In your current position, how much time would you say you spend directly with prospects and customers throughout the sales day and what specifically do you do with them?
- Describe a situation with a client or prospect where you made a mistake. How did you handle the error?
- Describe a couple of instances, big or small, where you took a different tack in achieving an objective than was the company standard?
- Describe a time where a creative approach to meeting an objective didn’t work and what you did next?
- What sales skills do you think are most important to having success in sales?
- What are your top three open-ended questions for initial sales calls?
- In your current sales environment, describe the process you go through to qualify your prospects?
- What is the largest group you’ve presented to (externally/ internally)?
- How do you organize a presentation?
- What do you like and dislike about presentations and why?
- What do you see as the key issues in negotiating?
- What do you see as the key skills in closing?
- How would your present prospects and customers describe you as their sales representative?
- Describe a time your company did not deliver on its product or service and how you responded?
- Describe one or two of the most difficult challenges and/ or rejections you’ve faced in the past and how you responded?
- How many rejections do you take in a typical week?
- How do you move forward from a string of rejections?
- What would you say your one or two biggest failures or mistakes were? What did you learn from them?
- What are some of the challenges you see that are facing this industry?
- How would those with whom you work now, across all areas of the company, describe you and the work you do?
- Describe a time you led a group of people, the primary challenges you faced and how you handled them?
Now go sell something.