Client Organization: Canadian Professional Sales Association (CPSA)
Reports to: Board Chair and Board of Directors
Location: Toronto, Ontario
The Canadian Professional Sales Association (www.cpsa.com) supports sales professionals across Canada with tools, training, and resources to accelerate their success. Over the years, CPSA has transformed the industry with rigorous standards, ethical guidelines, professional development, and recognition programs that set the bar for excellence. CPSA is shaping the future with innovative programs that help sales professionals advance at every level. CPSA’s 20,000+ members include top performing senior executives, entrepreneurs, sales managers, sales representatives and sales agents from coast to coast.
The sales profession is constantly evolving in an ever-changing industry landscape. Demand is very high for empowering sales professionals to drive revenue growth and achieve high annual growth rates within their organizations. With such high demand comes opportunity for considering sales as an aspirational career choice and ongoing opportunity for enhanced professional development and success. CPSA is at the forefront of research to better understand and serve the needs of the sales community. As the advocate for excellence in sales, CPSA invests resources in programming, curriculum development and professional designations to help sales professionals and companies become more successful through effective sales. The CPSA standardsbased designation program represents a key investment strategy in the sales profession to support Canada’s high-growth economy.
The CPSA recently completed a strategic re-positioning with a substantive investment to develop and launch new offerings. The incoming CEO will drive the successful execution of key deliverables and over time work collaboratively with the Board to develop and execute a new Strategic Plan.
The CEO provides the strategic leadership for CPSA, including support to the Board of Directors and its Committees. The CEO is the “public face” to the membership and key constituents and stakeholders. The CEO is responsible for overall management of CPSA on a day-to-day basis, in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and corporate policies and in accordance with the company's vision, mission and cultural values/guiding principles. Working transparently and collaboratively with the Chair, the Board and the senior management team, the CEO ensures that CPSA develops long-term strategies, establishes appropriate goals and targets, manages its resources to meet those goals and targets and executes the plans necessary to deliver a high standard of business performance and corporate governance. The CEO creates a high-performance organization through the establishment of key competencies and success factors to deliver on the organization’s brand and brand promise to the Board, to the membership, and to stakeholders and strategic partners. The CEO is a superb executor with entrepreneurial instincts, commercially astute with strong financial skills and customer/member service orientation and encourages accountability and ownership.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Develop and recommend to the Board for approval, corporate policies, strategies and objectives to achieve the mandate set by the Board.
- Provide leadership, management and control over all activities of the corporation within those approved policies, strategies and objectives.
- Lead/Manage all strategy, policy implementation, administration and day to day operations.
- Develop and recommend to the Board for approval, long-range and annual business plans including operating and capital budgets.
- Implement long-range and annual business plans.
- Report to the Board on a regular basis on actual performance compared to plan and in relation to the business plan metrics.
- Represent CPSA as official spokesperson on all matters except for those matters that are clearly governance matters.
- Lead, motivate and manage the employee team, including development of a management succession plan.
- Liaise with the Board Chair and the Committee Chairs on a regular basis, keeping all informed of all material matters relating to their areas of responsibility.
- Enhance the CPSA public image, locally, nationally and internationally with all stakeholders, including employees, funding agencies, industry associations, Governments and the broader sales community.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, experience, skills and attributes:
Education and Experience
- A relevant post-secondary degree, or a relevant professional designation.
- 8-10 years of progressively more responsible senior leadership roles ideally in a B2B environment (ie. sales leadership/ general management).
- Substantial knowledge of the sales function, including lead generation and sales pipeline strategies and outcomes measurement, building a compelling and sustaining value proposition to customers/members, and leveraging a roster of networks.
- Clear track record of managing P&L and profitably aligning spending with revenue generation.
- Experience with social media, customer-relationship management, and analytics in a sales environment.
- Familiarity with Board governance is a strong asset.
Visionary Leader and Strategist
- Understands the industry and can anticipate change ahead of the curve.
- Proactively recognizes the potential in growth opportunities and with excellence in business and financial acumen.
- Drives top line revenue.
- Can connect scattered dots and see when 1+1 may be greater than 2.
- Implements continuous improvement strategies and plans in core operations.
- Grounded in a strong sense of organizational excellence and alignment of cultural values and principles.
- Builds team effectiveness through a common vision and purpose, and commitment to high performance within and across teams. Demonstrates the power of cross-functional collaboration and teamwork.
- Has proven ability to develop, coach and mentor team members.
- Able to inspire confidence and lead by example.
- Sets performance metrics aligned to key deliverables and outcomes.
- Effectively builds consensus and holds himself/herself and the team accountable.
- Demonstrates initiative and motivation; able to roll up sleeves/resourceful.
- By nature, this individual is a collaborator, operates in a spirit of cooperation and can envision win-win solutions.
- Easily builds credibility and trust with all stakeholders and partners
- Possesses strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Positions CPSA as a key and valued partner to other organizations with a mutual gains’ perspective and benefit.
- Believes in and lives in an environment of open, frank, and transparent communication.
- Serves as a role model with excellent interpersonal (including listening) skills.
- Is an effective conduit between the Board and senior management.
- Engages well with staff at every level.
- Self-confident with ego in check.
Decisive and Consistent
- Maintains professional presence, credibility and business maturity in pressure/conflict situations.
- Makes solid recommendations and substantiated decisions within a changing environment and landscape.
- Able to make the tough decisions and support others to do so as well.
- Is action-oriented and results focused.
- Demonstrates integrity, respect and trust.
Possesses Solid Proven Implementation Skills
- Is committed to delivering on strategic plans.
- Possesses excellent financial acumen.
- Is tenacious in acting on the plan(s) and realizing opportunities.
Understanding Business Development
- Is a business builder with excellent operational execution skills.
- Diversifies and builds new revenue streams aligned to operational excellence and the organization’s mandate.
- Appreciates multiple stakeholder demands and nuances in an Association environment.
Please forward a confidential expression of interest (cover letter and current resume) to:
Michelle Partipilo, Senior Consultant – email@example.com.
Should you have any questions regarding this exciting and challenging opportunity, please contact:
Janice Kussner, Partner
Michelle Partipilo, Senior Consultant
Glenda Goodman, Recruitment Operations
ABOUT AMROP KNIGHTSBRIDGE
Proudly Canadian, Amrop Knightsbridge is a leading executive search firm with offices across Canada and partner offices around the globe. Amrop Knightsbridge is an integral part of LHH Knightsbridge, a human capital management organization comprising teams of specialists with an integrated perspective across recruitment, leadership and organizational development, learning, and career and workforce management. Solutions are customized to fully meet client specific needs, maximizing investments in people and achieving optimal organizational and business productivity and performance. LHH Knightsbridge has been recognized over multiple years as one of Canada’s Top 50 Best Managed Companies. Further LHH Knightsbridge information is available at www.lhhknightsbridge.com.