Search by keywords:
Search resources by: Competency
Content Format


Not a member? Sample unlocked content here.

Topics Covered: <a href='/resources/search/?query=Manufacturer's Sales Agents'>Manufacturer's Sales Agents</a> | <a href='/resources/search/?query=Independent'>Independent</a>
Finance & Legal
Nov 2, 2012 | The Canadian Professional Sales Association

According to the Canada Revenue Sales Agency (CRA), as an independent sales representative (someone who is not an employee of the company) can charge the appropriate taxes on their commission rate if the commission earned is expected to be more than $30, 000 annually. In this case, the sales representative must apply and register for an HST number with the CRA.

If the sales representative is expected to receive less than $30, 000 in commission, then they do not need to register for an HST number, nor charge taxes to the company.

For more detailed information specific to your unique case, please consult with a lawyer, a financial advisor, or the CRA.

Click here to view this answer in French.

Recommended Reading:
- Independent Sales Representatives and the GST: To Tax or Not to Tax Examples
- Independent Sales Representatives and the GST: Conditions for Zero-rating

View the full list of Ask A Sales Expert questions and answers.
Got a sales, marketing, or business-related question? Email us at

About the author: 667

Related Resources